UK Visitor Visa
This route is for foreign nationals who want to visit the UK temporarily for tourism, to visit friends or family, to carry out a business activity, or to undertake a short course of study.
Categories - UK Visitor Visa
There are four main categories of a UK Visit Visa, some of which have subcategories with periods of leave:
- Normal Visitor - up to 6 months;
- Child Visitor - up to 12 months:
- Private medical Visitor - up to 11 months;
- ADS Agreement - up to 30 days;
- Academic 12 months visa.
- Marriage or Civil Partnership - up to 6 months;
- Permitted Paid Engagement - up to 1 month;
- Transit - up to 48 hours:
- Normal Transit;
- Direct Airside.
Requirements - UK Visitor Visa
Genuine requirements for a UK Visitors Visa:
- Proof that you are going to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
- Able to support yourself and pay for your journey, return or onward travel;
- No intention to reside for an extended period or make the UK your main home;
- That they have sufficient funds to maintain and accommodate themselves in the UK;
- They should be allowed under the grounds for refusal for visitors.
UK Child Visa:
- Demonstration of adequate arrangements for their travel, reception and care in the UK;
- Have a parent or guardian in their home country who is responsible for their care;
- Consent from parent or guardian with confirmation arrangements for the child’s travel and care in the UK.
UK Medical Treatment Visa :
- Letter from their doctor detailing the medical condition with estimated costs, duration of the treatment and place of treatment;
- Proof from their medical practitioner in the UK about exceeding proposed treatment but not more than 11 months;
- TB test certificate (if required).
UK ADS Agreement Visa:
- Chinese Citizenship;
- intention to enter, leave and travel within the UK as a member of a tourist group (under the ADS agreement).
UK Academic Visa:
- Carrying out one of the permitted activities for up to 12 months;
- Be highly qualified within their field of expertise;
- Currently working in that field at an academic institution or higher education overseas;
- TB test certificate (if required).
UK Marriage Visa:
- Intention to marry or a civil partnership;
- No intention for a sham civil partnership or sham marriage within the validity period of the Visa.
Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE) Visa:
Intention to do one or more of the permitted paid engagements, arranged before travel and declared as part of the application evidenced by a formal invitation and related to their area of expertise and occupation overseas.
Permitted activities - UK Visitors
- Family or friends meetings;
- Volunteer activity (with a registered charity for up to 30 days);
- Transit through the UK to another country;
- Attending a meeting or interview;
- School exchange programme;
- A recreational course (up to 30 days);
- Medical reasons.
Unpermitted activities - UK Visitors
- Self-employed, any paid or unpaid work for a UK company;
- Claim public funds (benefits);
- To Live in the UK for extended periods;
- To marry or register a civil partnership if not a Marriage and civil partnership visitor visa type.
>Documents - UK Visitor Visa
You will need to provide certain information as part of the application process:
- Financial proof of sufficient funds to travel within the UK;
- Confirmation of legal residence if you are applying from a country in which you are not a national;
- Sufficient details of your employment or studies;
- Documents for potential business activities (e.g. a letter from any inviting organisations).
- Travel documents with exact dates of your travel;
- History of international travel;
- Proof of sufficient funds;
- Overseas contact details and address;
- Details of any overseas employer company for which you travel to the UK.
Application procedure - UK Visitors
It is required to complete the following steps for a UK Visitor Visa application:
In most cases, you can receive a decision on your Visitor Visa application within three weeks.
Risk factors for refusal
Visitor Visa may be rejected for many reasons, including the following:
- Young or old age;
- Absence of close family in their own country;
- Use this type of Visa as a scheme to live in the UK;
- A threat to national security;
- Breach the immigration rules in the past;
- Unspent criminal convictions;
- No one appears to be a genuine visitor;
- Insufficient funds to support yourself in the UK;
- A recent payment of money into the account or large unexplained bank statement transactions.
Fees - UK Visitor Visa
- 6 months - £100
- 11 months - medical - £200
- 12 months - academics - £200
- 2-year - 6 months per visit - £376
- 5-year - 6 months per visit - £670
- 10-year - 6 months per visit - £837
Extension - UK Visitor Visa
You can extend your Visa for longer than six months due to:
- Medical treatment;
- Eligibility requirements which still in force;
- Clinical attachment or graduate retaking the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB).
Visa Extension in UK - Fees
- Visa Extension - £1000
- Super priority service - £800
You should apply before your Visa or permission expires while in the UK.